
Jacques Moretti, co-owner of the Constellation bar in Crans-Montana, where a fire broke out on New Year's Eve, will be released from prison, according to information obtained by BFMTV. The Valais cantonal court for preliminary detention ordered his release.
VIDEO OF THE DAY
He is expected to leave Sion prison (Switzerland), where he has been in custody since January 9. However, he will be subject to “alternative measures.” These are restrictions aimed at preventing his escape. Thus, he is prohibited from leaving Swiss territory and is also obliged to “surrender all his identity documents and residence documents to the Attorney General's Office,” the court said in a press release, BF MTV reported.
These measures also include “an obligation to report to the police station daily and an obligation to pay bail”, namely 200,000 Swiss francs (approximately 215,000 euros). The court specifies that the amount was paid “today into the account of the Public Prosecutor’s Office”.
Romain Jordan, a lawyer representing the families of several victims, told BF MTV that he did not want to comment on the “consequences of pre-trial detention.” However, he added: “Regarding the investigation, my clients point out that once again, the risk of collusion and the destruction of evidence was not taken into account. This is a risk that deeply concerns them.”
ADVERTISING
Jacques Moretti and his wife Jessica Moretti are under criminal investigation for “involuntary manslaughter, negligent bodily harm, and negligent arson.”
The fire at the Constellation Bar, which began at 1:26 a.m. on the night of January 31, 2025, to January 1, 2026, killed 40 people and injured 116.
It was previously reported that a woman was killed in the US by an umbrella caught in the wind on a beach.
ADVERTISING